Kentucky residents in the Louisville area who suffer injuries in accidents often find that the accident has seriously impacted their lives financially as well as medically. If you were injured in an accident caused by someone else in Louisville, you may be entitled to demand compensation for your losses. Yet, even people with valid personal injury claims soon learn that insurance companies will try to pay as little as possible to resolve the claim.
After suffering a significant injury in an accident, it takes Kentucky Courage to stand up for your rights to full compensation. The Louisville personal injury attorneys at Morgan, Collins, Yeast & Salyer have the Kentucky Courage – and the legal skills and experience – necessary to demand maximum compensation for you after an accident that was not your fault.
Have you been seriously injured in an accident in the greater Louisville area? If so, you should seek experienced legal help. Let our attorneys at Morgan, Collins, Yeast & Salyer fight to recover the compensation you need for your medical costs and other losses.
We can schedule a free consultation to explore all of your legal options as soon as you phone us or contact us online.
Types of Injury Cases We Handle in Louisville, KY
You will benefit from our decades of experience when you choose Morgan, Collins, Yeast & Salyer to handle a Kentucky personal injury claim. The most common types of accident claims that we pursue on behalf of Kentuckians include:
- Car accidents — Car crashes happen every day in Louisville. Most are caused by a driver’s negligence. When a negligent driver injures someone else – another driver, a pedestrian, a cyclist – the unjustly injured person should be compensated. Insurance companies often try to blame the victims in such collisions. Our attorneys know the tactics that insurers use. We fight for our clients to be fully compensated.
- Truck accidents — Commercial trucks are large, heavy vehicles that can cause terrible harm when they collide with smaller passenger vehicles. Multiple parties may be responsible for a tractor-trailer accident, from the truck driver to the company that employed the driver, cargo loaders, or others. Because these parties can blame one another, it is crucial to hire an experienced injury attorney to represent you after a truck accident.
- Motorcycle accidents — Motorcyclists know they are far more susceptible to major injuries in an accident than occupants of cars and trucks are. The small size of a motorcycle makes it harder to be seen in traffic. This does not mean a motorcyclist should be unfairly blamed for a collision that was a negligent driver’s fault. Our Louisville motorcycle accident attorneys are here to stand up and fight to help our clients recover the compensation they are owed after accidents.
- Bicycle accidents — Bicyclists riding on the roads are vulnerable to serious injuries, and collisions between bikes and motor vehicles are far too common. When a cyclist is injured by a negligent driver who has caused a collision, the bicycle rider may seek compensation from the at-fault motorist. Our firm’s experienced legal representation can help.
- Pedestrian accidents — Drivers have a legal duty to yield to pedestrians and operate their vehicles responsibly to avoid hitting people. If a driver was distracted, driving drunk, driving aggressively or otherwise not obeying the rules of the road, the driver should be held accountable if they hit a pedestrian. Our attorneys will help you do it.
- Boating accidents —Kentucky parks and other lakes offer a variety of recreational boating opportunities. But boating has inherent dangers, including the potential for drowning accidents. When a boater’s negligence or a preventable mechanical issue causes an accident resulting in serious injury, those who have been hurt deserve strong legal representation to advocate for their interests.
- Maritime injuries — Kentuckians who work on the water for a living and are injured on the job are protected by maritime or admiralty law, including the Jones Act. These federal laws provide benefits to injured maritime crew, but they are complex and less likely to be understood by injured workers in need of financial help. Our Louisville maritime injury attorneys can help.
- Slip and fall accidents — Falls are one of the most common causes of injuries in Kentucky and the United States in general. When the owner or manager of a store, theater, business office or other premises (buildings and grounds) allows dangerous conditions that lead to slip and fall accidents, those who have been injured deserve justice. We’ll investigate your fall and seek the compensation you deserve.
- Dog bites — In Kentucky, a dog owner may be held legally responsible for damages from a dog bite regardless of whether a dog has previously attacked anybody or displayed violent tendencies. A serious dog bite or mauling is reason for legal action to recover compensation for medical bills, pain, suffering and more.
- Product liability — Manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers have a legal duty to ensure that consumer products are not dangerous when used as intended and to adequately warn of any risks or dangers posed by the product. When a manufacturer fails to comply with this duty, an injured consumer may have grounds for a product liability claim against the manufacturer or seller.
- Medical malpractice — Not all undesirable results from medical treatment are caused by malpractice. But when a patient was significantly harmed due to a preventable error because the medical provider failed to follow the recognized standard of care, the injured patient deserves an independent investigation into what happened. We’ll take your claim seriously, and we’ll demand full compensation for you when demonstrable medical malpractice has occurred.
- Birth injuries — Birth injuries can cause life-long devastation and expenses for children and their families. When a birth injury stems from medical negligence, doctors, hospitals or other providers can be compelled to compensate the injured child and/or parents. Proving the cause of a birth injury can be exceptionally challenging, but our experienced Louisville medical malpractice attorneys are dedicated to helping families facing this situation.
Did someone else’s negligence in the Louisville area leave you injured and facing medical bills and other losses? You may be eligible to seek compensation, but your time to act is limited by Kentucky’s statutes of limitations. Contact a Louisville personal injury lawyer at Morgan, Collins, Yeast & Salyer as soon as you are able, and get legal help backed by experience and Kentucky Courage.
A personal injury lawyer helps individuals who have been injured in accidents pursue compensation from other parties found to be legally liable for the accident. The objective of a personal injury claim is to make the injured party financially whole. A claim also seeks additional payment as some measure for the injustice of the suffering the injured person has been forced to endure.
To prepare such a claim, our legal team will investigate the accident and your injuries to determine:
- Who or what entity was at fault for the accident
- The extent of your injuries and prognosis for recovery and resumption of your normal lifestyle
- Your costs and losses from the accident and injury, including ongoing costs and/or losses due to disability or long-term medical needs.
When we investigate a case, we obtain police reports, medical records, bills and receipts and other physical evidence, and speak to witnesses as well as our client and their family. We may consult outside experts, such as accident reconstruction specialists or medical specialists.
While investigating and preparing your claim, we can assist you with other needs. If you need referrals for medical specialists, automotive repairs or other services, we have contacts in the Louisville area who will work with our clients. If needed, we can draft a letter to your creditors to advise them of your pending legal claim and request that they pause any collection efforts.
Once we have a claim prepared, we will submit a “demand letter” to the responsible insurance company outlining your claim, the compensation you are seeking and the evidence we have to support your demand. Typically, a demand letter starts negotiations toward a monetary settlement that the client finds acceptable. When a settlement cannot be reached, we will file a formal personal injury lawsuit, which details your claim and demand for compensation.
There are many steps to a lawsuit. As it progresses, we will continue to negotiate and may settle a claim any time before a jury delivers its verdict.
Most personal injury cases are resolved through settlements negotiated between the injured party’s lawyers and the responsible insurance company. If we must take your case to court, we will do so with a strong and persuasive case.
Personal Injury Compensation You Could Recover
When a person who has been injured can demonstrate that their injuries were caused by someone else’s negligence and caused them compensable harm, they may be entitled to recover economic and non-economic “damages.”
Economic damages are compensation for specific financial costs the injured person has or will incur, such as:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Property damage.
Noneconomic damages may be recovered for emotional or psychological harm, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
Punitive damages, which are meant to punish the wrongdoer and set an example, are rare in Kentucky. Under Kentucky Revised Statutes §411.184(2) punitive damages require proof by clear and convincing evidence that a defendant acted with oppression, fraud, or malice.
Speak to a Louisville Personal Injury Attorney
If you have suffered serious injuries in an accident of any kind caused by another party’s negligence or wrongdoing in Louisville or the Jefferson County area, after you obtain medical care, we urge you to contact our experienced personal injury lawyers. Call us at (877) 809-5352 or reach out to us online to set up a free, no-obligation legal consultation.
The personal injury attorneys of Morgan, Collins, Yeast & Salyer are experienced and dedicated legal advocates. We represent clients throughout Kentucky. Since establishing our firm, we’ve fought for thousands of Kentuckians just like you with injury claims. Let us explain how Kentucky Courage can help make things right for you. Call today.