Suffering a back injury in an accident can be devastating. Back injuries can affect your movement in many ways and can cause severe pain.
According to the Mayo Clinic, “back pain is one of the most common reasons people go to the doctor or miss work, and it is a leading cause of disability worldwide.”
Lower back pain can be acute or chronic. It can result from a traumatic injury or repetitive strain. Upper back pain more commonly occurs as a result of an injury. Most frequently, back injuries result from a muscle or ligament strain, or a bulging or ruptured disc.
If you sustained a back injury in an accident that wasn’t your fault, you may be eligible to seek financial compensation to cover the costs of your medical bills and lost wages. In some cases, you might be able to obtain money to compensate you for your pain and suffering caused by the back injury.
It takes Kentucky Courage to fight for compensation for a back injury. An aggressive back injury lawyer at Morgan, Collins, Yeast & Salyer can assist you. Reach out to us now for a free claim review and advice about your best options.
When Do You Need a Lawyer for a Back Injury?
If you suffered a back injury and are wondering whether you need a lawyer, get a consultation to learn more about whether you may be eligible for compensation. Generally speaking, you need to have an experienced back injury lawyer on your side in any of the following situations:
- When your injury was caused by someone else’s negligence.
- When your injury happened at work.
- When your injury has left you disabled.
Back injuries can vary widely in terms of severity. In many cases, it can take months or even years to begin recovering from a back injury. Recovery may involve multiple surgeries and extensive rehabilitative therapy. Depending upon the severity of the back injury, the injury ultimately may result in a permanent disability from which the injured person cannot fully recover.
Common Causes of Back Injuries
Our attorneys handle many different types of injury claims involving back injuries. From workers’ compensation claims for back injuries that occurred at work, to serious back injuries that occurred in a car crash or another type of accident, our firm can help.
We regularly assist clients with back injuries caused by the following:
- Motor vehicle crashes
- Trucking accidents
- Motorcycle crashes
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Boat accidents
Our firm has years of experience representing clients with a wide variety of personal injury claims. We’re ready to put that experience to work for you.
Types of Back Injuries
A person could sustain many different types of back injuries stain. Examples of common back injuries include:
- Spinal cord injuries (SCIs)
- Disc injuries
- Sprains and strains
- Repetitive strains
- Pinched nerves
Compensation Through a Personal Injury Claim
If you file a back injury claim, there are several types of damages you may be able to collect. Most types of damages are compensatory damages, which means that they are designed to compensate you for losses.
Examples of compensatory damages include:
- Medical costs and expenses – You can obtain compensation for hospital bills, surgery costs, doctor’s visits, and any future medical costs related to your injuries. You lawyer can work with medical experts to show what your future medical expenses are likely to cost.
- Lost wages – You can seek compensation for lost wages and future lost wages. If another party’s negligence caused your injuries, that person may be responsible for compensating you for the wages you were unable to earn due to your injuries, as well as any future lost wages. Your future lost wages can be calculated based on your earnings prior to the date of the injury and any future raises or promotions you would have been likely to receive, as well as annual wage increases.
- Pain and suffering – In addition to damages that compensate for your economic losses like medical costs or lost wages, you can also seek compensation for subjective losses like pain and suffering or emotional distress. Compensation for pain and suffering can vary depending upon the specific facts of a case.
If you lost a loved one due to a devastating back injury, you also may be able to seek damages for loss of consortium in a wrongful death lawsuit. In some cases where the defendant’s wrongdoing was particularly egregious, you may be able to seek punitive damages.
How a Back Injury Lawyer Can Help
Whether you are just beginning the process of seeking benefits through an insurance claim, or you need assistance appealing a benefits denial or filing a back injury lawsuit, a back injury lawyer can help.
At Morgan, Collins, Yeast & Salyer, our attorneys assist clients with each stage of the claims process, including the following:
- Evaluating the facts of your case and deciding the best steps forward.
- Gathering evidence to prove that you are entitled to compensation.
- Handling the initial filing of an insurance claim.
- Negotiating with the insurance company for a settlement.
- Filing a lawsuit against the negligent party or parties for compensation.
- Taking your case to court if it is necessary.
Contact a Back Injury Lawyer Now
If you suffered a back injury on the job, or you suffered a back injury caused by someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing, it is essential to speak with an experienced back injury lawyer. You may be eligible for different disability benefits, and you also may be able to obtain compensation through an insurance claim or a personal injury lawsuit.
A dedicated personal injury attorney at our firm can begin working on your back injury case today. Contact Morgan, Collins, Yeast & Salyer now to learn more about how we can assist with your back injury claim. The consultation is free.