Special Protection for Workers Hurt While Working on the Water

Kentucky state icon

Working on rivers, lakes and offshore vessels can be dangerous. If you’re hurt on the job on the water, you deserve special legal protection.

The federal Jones Act allows you to sue your employer to cover your everyday living expenses and medical care after an accident on a water-borne vessel. This law could be the key to reclaiming your life.

Don’t let your employer or their insurance company lock you out of all the compensation you deserve.

If you worked on a barge, crew boat, riverboat casino, tug boat, offshore vessel or other watercraft and got hurt, get an experienced Jones Act lawyer.

The Jones Act is a special area of law with its own rules and terms.

When hard-working people are hurt on the job, the maritime injury lawyers at Morgan, Collins, Yeast & Salyer bring the Kentucky Courage™ you need to set things right.

Contact Us Today!

Do I Qualify for a Jones Act Claim?

To have a Jones Act case, you must meet these conditions:

  • A substantial amount of your employment was based on the vessel where you were injured.
  • You were aboard the vessel in navigation when you were hurt.
  • Your job involved contributing significantly to the vessel’s primary purpose.

When you get into the courts, proving that you’re the right kind of worker to make a Jones Act claim—officially called a “seaman”—gets complicated. The same goes for proving you were on the right kind of vessel.

And then you need to prove that your employer violated their responsibility to provide a safe work setting, safety training and safety equipment.

You have some responsibility to conduct yourself safely in your job, but you’re not responsible for developing the safest processes and working conditions. That’s up to your employer.

To win your case—and compensation to move on with your life—you must prove that negligence by your employer contributed to your injury.

The maritime injury attorneys at Morgan, Collins, Yeast & Salyer don’t charge anything to review your options.

Get My Free Evaluation!

What to Do Right After a Maritime Accident

Sometimes, hardworking people don’t report their injuries right away, and they try to keep working.
Your dedication is inspiring, but you should report your accident to your supervisor immediately.
And follow these steps:

  • Get medical treatment right away—and go to a doctor of your choice if possible. Doctors hired by your employer may not put your needs first.
  • Take pictures of the accident scene and surrounding conditions if you can.
  • Get contact information for witnesses. It could be hard to find them later if you’re not still working on that vessel.

And contact an injury lawyer. While technically you have three years to file a lawsuit under the Jones Act, it’s better to start your case as soon as possible.

Get Help with Your Jones Act Claim

When you can’t work because you were hurt on the water, you have a lot at stake.

The Jones Act provides two kinds of personal injury compensation:

  1. Maintenance: Which means daily expenses while you can’t work because of your injury or work-related illness
  2. Cure: Which means coverage of your medical costs resulting from your injury

Your employer might try to give you as little as possible. Don’t stand for it. This is about your life and your future.

Contact Morgan, Collins, Yeast & Salyer Now.

Contact us for a Free Consultation
Or Give Us a Free Call 877.809.5352

* Required Information